THANKS TO JOHN & SARAH GRAVES FOR PARTIALLY FUNDING THIS PROJECT
$115,000 still needed to fund this project in full
Visiting the Wheeler property is like going back in time. In 1916, Montana Senator Burton Wheeler and his wife Lulu purchased a cabin on the eastern shore of Lake McDonald, where they spent summers with their family until 2014 when the property was returned to Glacier National Park.
This year, the park will begin rehabilitation of the site for adaptive reuse in partnership with the University of Montana and the Glacier Institute as well as provide transformational experiences for students and tribal members; provide a venue for both visiting international delegations aspiring to engage in transboundary conservation; and for hosting workshops on the environmental peacebuilding framework.
In 2017, this project will continue the rehabilitation and stabilization of the historic property to address potable water and electrical system deficiencies on the property. The historic structures will require significant rehabilitation to meet the needs for both NPS and non-profit partner use.